Pros & Cons of Glossy & Matte Finish
- Photos will have a shiny finish, as far as brochures they will have a semi gloss finish which is not as shiny or low shine.
- Colors are vibrant.
- Images are crisp and sharp (assuming the original photo was in focus).
- Glossy finish does not produce a textured look when scanned and converted to digital.
- Photos are highly susceptible to fingerprints and smudges.
- To remove fingerprints and smudges, you need to use a photo cloth and/or a liquid solution. Rubbing a photo, no matter how soft the cloth is, can produce scratches.
- Glossy photos produce a glare, making them difficult to see from certain angles.
- Fingerprints and smudges are not as visible.
- Since most professional prints are printed on matte-finish paper, photos printed on matte paper can have a more professional look. This is especially true with black and white photographs.
- Glare is significantly reduced with matte-finish prints.
- The texture of matte finish can make a photo look grainy.
- Colors are usually less vibrant on a matte finish.
- The texture of a matte-finish print may produce a pattern or visible texture when the photo is scanned or converted to digital.